Modern coal mining was taking hold by the early 20th century with production of coal from the Newcastle and the Hunter region coal mines reaching 6.5 million tonnes.
About 500 million tons of coal is minded each year in Australia with around half of that being exported and the remainder being used for local power generation. Approximately 100 million tons is exported from Newcastle.
Major mines in Newcastle and The Hunter Valley include:
- Beltana, Singleton; Xstrata
- Bengalla, Muswellbrook; Coal and Allied
- Drayton, Hunter Valley; Anglo Coal
- Mount Arthur Coal, Muswellbrook; BHP Billiton
- Mount Thorley Warkworth, Singleton; Coal & Allied
- Ulan, Mudgee; Xstrata
- Bulga Coal, Singleton; Xstrata